Saturday, October 6, 2007

Growing Up...

This is the first installment of what I'll call "Stories From the Past" that will help explain how I got to where I am. They are taken in part from that original writing I did in September --I 'll also introduce friends along the way, and they may be referred to by initials or "code names."

When I was a kid, I never really developed much interest in the opposite sex. My sister used to ask me in a joking manner if I was gay. At the time I never thought much of it…I mean, how important is it to be thinking about that when you are 7, 8, or 10 years old. Hindsight says she probably sensed it then, and does now.

I think I first realized something was up in middle school. I remember about eighth grade, there was a guy in one of my classes that would walk around in sleeveless tees. It was Industrial Tech, so he’d take off his overshirt in the shop—the teacher didn’t care as long as he was still clothed. He was athletic and I remember thinking he was attractive but I dismissed it, because in my mind there was no way I could be “that way”…and he sure wasn’t.

High school largely came and went. I never really was interested in any girls, and I had put any possibility of the other out of my mind, I didn’t date. I had a couple of female friends, but they were nothing more than that. At one point I nearly got into a relationship with one of them, but ultimately we both realized there was nothing romantic about our relationship. Oh well.

1 comment:

BoarderGuy said...

Hey! I just started reading your blog and realized we have the same initial for our posts. Sorry about this!!! If I can think of a more creative signature then I'll change mine. I'm going to keep reading, but wanted to let you know that my sister also has asked me quite recently if I was gay, and that it would be ok if I was. I denied it. Funny how family can maybe just see it eh?